Tuesday, December 4, 2007

More News

Ok, this is where the "mad" part of MayLing's Mama's musings come in.  I just LOVE reading the newspaper.  I can't help myself.  Big town, little town, it doesn't really matter.  The things I comment on are things that I just don't understand.  Sometimes I can't figure out why they are newsworthy (like today's article about a 5 year-old chimp beating college students at computer games--who cares?) or I find them just so disturbing and distressful (like the teacher that I told you last week who was in trouble for allowing her Muslim students to name the class mascot Muhammad) that the fact that these things happen boggles my mind. 

Ok, story #1

A Mexican singer, Zayda Pena, was shot through the heart.  Evidently this is the 4th killing of musicians that produce popular northern music (rap?).  The disturbing thing isn't so much that Zayda was shot, but that she was shot in the hospital while recovering from being shot in the neck the day before.  Did you catch that?  Shot twice in two days.  What the heck?

Story #2 (ok, I promise this is more uplifting)

Jianguo Liu, an ecologist in Michigan, recently released his report about the growing divorce rate worldwide and it's effect on ecology.  Two or 4 people share just as much household energy as 1, so when two people split homes and settle new homes they are actually using up more resources.  The message I get from this?  It's time to get busy and baby, I'm cold over here.  I live in a very liberal, green town.  I wonder if I can use this information as a pick-up line: hey, baby, you want to save the world?  Come on over to my place. 

No comments: