Saturday, December 15, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!



I woke up this morning at 8ish and we already had 3 inches of the white stuff on the ground. Woo-hoo! Definitely a lazy day, although I did venture out for a little bit this afternoon. I ordered a book at the library to take with me next week on my trip to Dallas. I'm really nervous about the travels this time. I ordered a shuttle when I finally arrive in Dallas so I shouldn't have to relive the horrible blind cabbie incident. Since we are under a winter storm advisory until tomorrow afternoon, I'm also concerned about the weather.

I think I have finally had a chance to pay something forward. As you may recall I lost my job this summer. It was another adoptive parent that helped me get the job I currently have and I have felt indebted to her since then. She didn't know me and she certainly didn't have to help me at all, but I know it was her influence that got me hired. The company really wanted to hire from the inside, and I was the first outsider they had ever hired in the department. Well, a colleague of mine that I really enjoyed working with at Select also applied for a job at the same company in a different department at the same time I did. Did you get all that...that sentence was tricky. Like me, she was told the position was filled. She let it go, as I had, and began working a horrible job that keeps her away from her family most of the time. She is miserable and having done the same job in the past, I can certainly sympathize. I knew for a fact that they never hired anyone in the department that she applied for and some of the people in that department are actually trying to get me to switch to their department! They are that busy and desperate for help so I knew there was NO WAY they hired anyone. Sounds familiar, right?

Well, right before Thanksgiving some of the people in this department were asking what happened to Kara because she was really well liked. I told them the saga about her trying to get hired to their department, but having no luck. Evidently, HR never told the department director that there was an applicant. As soon as I heard that I called Kara to see if she was still interested in that job, she was, and I have been advocating for her since then. Yesterday she interviewed with HR and the department director and yesterday afternoon they called me to check her references! I think she has a job!!! I am so excited and happy for her and I also feel relieved that I have been able to help out someone the way that I was helped. I have felt this deep debt of gratitude since Kathy helped me get my job and in a sense it has weighed over my head. Not in a bad way, but in a good way. It's like someone giving you a glass of water when you are terribly thirsty and being able to pass that glass of cold water to the next person that needed it. The job will be challenging and stressful, but I think it will be a better environment for her and I will finally have the chance to work with her again. I'm very excited about that!

Good luck, Kara!!!!!

No comments: