Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Autumn Moon Festival


I don't have the time to go into the history of the Autumn Moon Festival, but I wanted to share my experiences with the festival. In 2005 I was in San Francisco and convinced Tony and Fil to join me in Chinatown for the festival. Obviously in that town it is a big deal and even the mayor turned out for the festivities. The photo I have attached is a picture of the mayor...nice looking guy, too bad I can't show you his face.

Last year I joined my local FCC for Autumn Moon Festival. I had sent my application in to FTIA that week and on Friday was told they had some questions about it and would call me back on Monday. It was the longest weekend of my life and I was so thankful to meet all the adoptive parents with these beautiful children from China. One family had just been sent their referral and at the time I couldn't quite grasp how momentous that was (hello...self centered over here just worrying about my adoption application). It's amazing for me to now see her a year later and how much she has grown and changed. The funny thing is that as we all looked over her photos and evaluated every face she made we all decided that she looked like a pretty stubborn kid. Sure enough, she is!

Tonight I am joining my FCC families once again, but things have changed dramatically since last year. Last year I was stressed and nervous, this year I can relax and enjoy everyone. I especially love playing with the kids and looking at all the "gotcha day" photos. It reminds me that some day I will be the one in the that room in China that has her name called.

No comments: