Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Night owl reversal or something else?

Anyone that knows me will tell you that I am not a morning person, a day person, or in any way associated to being "bright" while the sun is shining. As a kid my parents would put me to bed around 8 pm, but I stayed up quite late playing in my bed. Long after they were asleep I was still awake and sometimes wandering the house. Well, fastforward 20+ years and nothing much has changed...until recently.

When I started the new job I started going into work around 7:30 am. Initially it was because I didn't want to be late. Then it changed into wanting to find a decent parking spot so I didn't have to be bussed in from several miles away. Last week I actually went into work at 6:30 AM. Yeah, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it when I clocked in. So, have I finally shifted my clock to daylight hours after a lifetime of fighting sleep, or is it something else? I've had a nasty sinus/bronchitis thing involving loads of mucous and other fluids you would probably not care to read about. I thought it was the post-nasal drip keeping me awake, but as this clears up and I'm still getting up early, I began to wonder. I might have blamed it on PMS, except that is normally associated with a lack of sleep. I'm actually waking up around 5-6 am feeling rested. I haven't woken up to an alarm in several weeks. At 7:30 this evening I'm calling everyone I know because I'm sitting on the couch fighting sleep. In what lifetime have I ever wanted to go to bed at 7:30???? If there are any reformed night shift people reading, I'd love to hear what you think.

No comments: