Saturday, October 27, 2007

Saturday Morning Lights


My parents stayed over last night because they wanted to go up to their house early this morning and get it ready for the first viewing. They left a little after 7 this morning. I couldn't sleep after waking up so I got up and began puttering around the house with most the lights off.

I had this odd sensation, almost like I was flashing back in time. I can remember being 5 years-old and living in a house very similar to this one and creeping around in the dark before the early light of Saturday morning. I would seek out our old boxed TV set...you know the kind that sat deep in it's own cabinet and was supposed to appear like a piece of furniture? This was back in the day before 24 hr programming and I would turn on the set to see only snow across the screen. Concerned, I would slink back to my mom and dad's room and whisper "where are the toons?" I looked forward to Saturday morning cartoons with the joy that only a child understands. Today, as I crept through the quiet, cold house I could almost hear the sounds of early morning cartoons playing softly and throwing pale light across the room. Yeah, I am looking forward to that day...

No comments: