Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Did ya miss me?

Well, did you? I thought it would feel strange going back to work after 2 months off, but it really doesn't. I'm not anxious. I'm sleeping fine. I have far less time now and check my e-mail far less. I need to get to bed since I'm getting up so early now, but I just wanted to let you all know that things are going great and they have really thrown out the welcome mat. I have never felt more welcome, actually. They had a card waiting for me yesterday with a message from everyone on the team welcoming me to the group. When my boss finally found me (I felt very popular yesterday) she hugged me. Yep, I was shocked too. I have never had a boss hug me. But coming from Suzy it didn't feel artificial--she seems like a very genuine person and it is obvious that everyone likes her. I do hope that they will keep her in that position because right now she is only interim director.

Other big news...Lisa Ling was in town today to present a lecture and I attended the lecture. It was free and the theatre filled up fast. EVERY China adoptive parent reading this knows Lisa from her National Geographic documentary "The Lost Girls of China". She really is incredible. I felt like a dork for not knowing she was on "The View". Give me a break, I work for a living and don't watch daytime crap. Well, even when I wasn't working I still didn't watch daytime crap. I will try to talk more about it tomorrow when I have more time. Bloomington is an amazing little town. Last week Jeff Daniels was here to perform during Lotus (yes, the Dumb and Dumber Jeff Daniels) and the Dali Lami is coming back to town in a few weeks. Before you get all excited about that, the Dali's family lives here and he comes home every year or so. Just between the two of us, the Dali may be a holy man, but his family is full of quacks. I'm not kidding. His sister-in-law called me a Mennonite! I had to look it up because I wasn't even sure what the insult meant. One of the Dali's nephews is a real troll. He owns some rental properties in town and his tenants always complain about him. You'd think a "holy" man would have a more wholesome family. Or perhaps being only once removed from fame gives people the false sense of "my sh** don't stink". And yes, I realize my verb tense is incorrect but I'm keepin' it real over here. Jeez, I think I need some sleep.

No comments: