Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I need some suggestions/feedback

Ok, so I'm not sure how to handle a situation. It's become kind of funny at this point, but I don't want my new co-workers thinking I'm a nut. I am a nut, but not the kind of nut they probably think I am. The woman that helped me get my job is a woman in my FCC group (families with children from China). She obviously knows I am adopting, but since she doesn't attend any of our meetings probably does not realize that I have kept it quiet. Well, one of the other employees came up to me and the conversation went something like this:

Her: Kathy told me that we live in the same neighborhood.

Me: Really?

Her: Yeah, she said she delivered her nursery furniture to you.

Me: Yeah, I live on XXXX Drive.

I could tell she was waiting for clarification about the furniture, but I left her hanging. When I was leaving on Friday this conversation occured with another co-worker after I told her my parents were coming for a weekend visit:

Her: So does your son enjoy spending time with his grandparents?

Me: (What the heck?!?) I don't have any kids.

Her: You don't have any kids? I thought someone said you had a son.

Me: Nope.

Her: Are you married?

Me: No.

Her: Were you ever married?

Me: No

Her: Are you dating someone? Living with anyone?

Me: No.

Her: Do you have any pets...a cat?

Me: Yeah, I have a cat.

It's actually funny when I do it live and in person. Maybe she thinks I bought the crib and changing table for my cat? Anyway, I really don't want to talk to my co-workers yet about my adoption. I was fortunate that it didn't slip out while I was working for Select because I think it would have been even more difficult to find employment. Who's going to hire someone that they think is going to take off in a year (haha) for 3 months? Anyway, any ideas how to handle it if it comes up again? I'm all ears.

No comments: