Friday, October 12, 2007

Tech crap and all that jaz

Ok, here are just a few of things I have heard the past few days:

  • "UNIX" pardon me, but isn't that way happens when a man loses his junk?
  • "virtual server" or "virtual machine" I'm glad I wasn't the bright one who asked what that was during a meeting. You know the answer? And these were the exact words: it's a pretend server/machine. Yeah.
  • "push it through" Evidently this is what they say when they are loading new applications to one or more systems.
  • "Vulcan" No kidding...this is the name of one of their servers. Would you like to guess with one of the others is called? Enterprise. Again, I'm not kidding. Sorry, boys, I'm a Star Wars fan, NOT a Star Trek fan.
I'll try to remember some of the other things I've heard. The meetings that involve the IT, IS, and CI (me!) teams are interesting. IT and IS does NOT speak the same language as the rest of us. Even though they all talk funny, these are some of the funniest guys I have EVER met. No kidding. I actually snorted.

Yesterday they held the annual IT cook-up and since I'm sandwiched in with the IT people I got to really really appreciate it. There were over 80 people that showed up and we were expected to judge 13 different chilis (and some side dishes and desserts). They were looking for the hottest chili, and I have to admit I was disappointed. I've decided, along with my new BFF Jason and Amber that we are going to submit a chili next year. I'm going to call it "toxic waste". I want it to be the hottest, nastiest chili ever produced. I don't even want it to taste good. I just want it to be hot. I've already involved my bro-in-law, Wes, on the project. Wes loves hot in a way that isn't healthy. So, if anyone has ideas on what I can do to hotten things up, please speak up!

I had a realization yesterday as I was sitting in my office (and try not to let one rip after all the chili and cheese I had just ingested--geez, just typing that makes me giggle). I really like the people I'm working with and I think I'm really going to enjoy my work. I'm not with the other analysts, and initially I thought that would be a problem, but one of them is not very nice and they are very intense. Instead I'm sandwiched on another floor with the informaticists, educators and IT people. I LOVE it. The guy in the next office over is too much fun. He's about my age and gets my sense of humor. Too much fun. He is also a Christian, which is a nice change from what I am used to. My office mate is Catholic and a little spit-fire. The ladies in the office to the left of me are also very funny and relaxed. They are also religious. The reason I mention that is because for the first time in my life, I have a job where I am not constantly hearing the F word. And you know what? I curse less when I don't hear it all the time. My goal was to clean up my language before MayLing comes home and I think that has a better chance of happening.

I've said several times that Select closing, although painful, was probably the best thing for me. I'm in a better working environment, I will be doing something that I enjoy (marketing had losts its zing many moons ago for me), and daycare is onsite. I will be able to have lunch with my daughter. How awesome is that?

I leave for Dallas on Sunday. You know what else is cool about this job? I have received the highest clearance EVER. When the IT guys were configuring my laptop this afternoon one actually remarked that I must have friends in high places. Sooo, I am taking my laptop with me to Dallas and I will be able to keep up on my e-mail, although if you don't mind, send it to my work address because that is a little easier. I also have internet access so I can update my blog and stay updated on yours! I think this job is going to be a very good thing for me.

No comments: