Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Giddy up little doggies...guess where I am? Ya'll don't know how different Texas is from Indiana! My laptop in my hotel room is not working yet...I have already called my IT people but they are kind of lost too.

Anyway, it's been an interesting journey so far. I get more nervous now when I travel long distances because I have more at stake now than ever before. There's a greater sense or mortality, but if this is truly God-driven, it gives me a greater sense of immortality. Well, that was what I thought before the hellacious taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. Ricci and I waited for our shuttle for over an hour and it didn't show. We even called and requested again that they come out, but when they didn't show we were forced to take a taxi. I didn't want to ride in the first taxi in line because the man looked decrepit. Well, when we tried to get in the taxi we were told that we had to take the first taxi. I knew we were screwed when he tried to insert the key into the trunk lid....6-8 inches away from the actual lock. Yep, folks, he keyed the trunk lid repeatedly trying to find the hole. And his car was parked under a street lamp. There was more than enough light. After we got in the taxi he couldn't figure out how to reset the meter and another taxi driver had to come over and help him. When I asked about why he was having difficulties he said, "it's not my cab." What the heck? I then looked towards the dash and tried to find his taxi license, and guess what? He didn't have one. It was obvious he hadn't been in the US for a long time so I suspect a friend let him "borrow" his cab so he could make some extra money.

Anyway, the guy was seriously blind. It was a 70 mph highway and we were weaving through 3-4 lanes of traffic. I wish I could say we only drove on the sidewalk once, but the truth is, we were on the sidewalk quite a bit. Since he couldn't see we often weaved into other lanes and at one point we stopped dead...in the road...while straddling two lanes. He didn't know how to get to Lewisville and he certainly didn't know how to get to our hotel. We had to call the hotel TWICE for him and the second time he tried to keep Ricci's phone...oops, I gotta go back to class. I'll continue the story in a little bit.

No comments: