Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Medical gripe

A year and a half ago I made an appointment with my mother's dermatologist who's office is over an hour away.  I had been seeing one locally, but was not getting the results I wanted, but I saw a dramatic improvement in my mother's skin in about a six month period of time.  I remember making the appointment only a few days after I received my LID and I remember thinking "wow, when I go to this appointment it will be the day before my 13 month LIDversery".  Of course I also thought I would have a referral by then, but I digress. 

I once had someone tell me I was an open book.  When I asked why she thought so,  I was told it was because I talked so openly about my poop.  Poop, to me, is not a personal issue.  We all poop.  I am actually a very private person which is why I am unsure how long I will leave this current post up, but I feel a bit irritated so I feel I must proceed. 

I have PCOS (no, I'm not going to define it, you can Google it).  I was diagnosed when I was 16 and I have had ongoing issues with it ever since.  While it is one of the biggest causes of untreatable infertility, this in NO WAY influenced my decision to adopt.  I have never tried to get pregnant so I don't know it is impossible.  Evidently the majority of the women in my family were told they would never be able to get pregnant and lo and behold, they have several kids each. 

ovary Unfortunately the PCOS causes acne because of its affect on my hormones.  My previous dermatologist wouldn't even address this issue, even though it is the causative factor.  Not only would he not address it (and this is why I am so annoyed right now) my personal OB/GYN would not address it.  Because I also have endometriosis, I have been put into that "box" and anytime I try to get them to address my PCOS and hormone issues, they try to re-focus me on endometriosis.  Believe it or not, I can actually tell the difference in the two disorders because they AFFECT DIFFERENT ORGANS.  Last time I had a major cyst rupture (ok, I guess I am basically explaining to you what PCOS is), I was off work for 3 days because I couldn't stand up straight.  Would they do an ultrasound?  No.  They said it was due to my endometriosis and an US wasn't warranted. 

In January I was tired of the near chronic pain and I saw my family doctor, who does not specialize in OB concerns, but who decided it was in my best interest to have one "." per season. 

Ok, so fast forward to today.  I saw the dermatologist and we reviewed the causes of acne and once I told her I had PCOS she began asking if I was taking one of several different androgen blocking agents.  No, I'm not.  Every time I have brought this up to my OB she always brushes right by it.  She asked when the last time I had my hormone levels checked and I told her I had never had my hormone levels checked.  She said based on my symptomology and the past ultrasound results that they may not have thought it was necessary, but she wants to get those levels checked.  She also decided to prescribe one of the androgen blocking agents because it SHOULD help with the acne production. 

How sad is it that a dermatologist is prescribing meds that my OB/GYN should have been prescribing for years? 

A couple of weeks ago I was in the cashier's office at work paying off a blood test, and I began talking to a woman who also has PCOS and her doctor put her on metformin despite the fact that her glucose levels are normal and she shows no signs of glucose resistance.  Her symptoms improved and she lost the 80# inner tube around her waist (another symptom of PCOS). 

I've been thinking of seeing a different OB/GYN for quite some time.  I rarely see mine as it is, because my family doctor seems to actually address my concerns better than my OB, but it is disappointing to realize that I might have had better pain control and certainly better weight control, had I been prescribed the correct medications for my disorder.  I suddenly realized that the huge amount of weight I gained while on the steroids (40# total) may not be totally related to the increased appetite or fluid retention, but the corticosteroids probably ramped up my hormones artificially which also helped to pack on the pounds.

I'm not dissing doctors, I'm really not (well, maybe I am my OB/GYN).  What bothers me is that I am a nurse acting as my own knowledgeable medical advocate and I can't get my issues addressed.  If I can't get my issues addressed, what hope does the non-medical person have?  As a nurse, I have always listened to my patients concerns, helped where I could, and relayed the rest onto the appropriate parts of the medical team.  I guess I wish I'd had the same courtesy.

Oh, and I have two questionable moles that need to be removed the next time I see the new dermatologist.  Does she rock, or what!?!

No comments: