Friday, January 26, 2007

WOW



I had reserved a suite at Homewood Suites by Hilton in downtown Chicago. I've stayed at some nice hotels, but this one actually exceeded my expectations. Not only was it spacious, but everyone was very nice and helpful. We managed to make our way to the Chinese Embassy at One East Erie, but it was not nearly as impressive as I expected. I expected some grand building, but it was just an average city building that rented space on the same floor as a plastic surgeon and a consulting firm. We stood in line for a few minutes before I was made my way to the counter. For expedited services I was told to return at 2 pm for my documents. Sherry and I made our way back outside to the Windy City where we hid in the hotel for another before venturing out for some shopping.
In an effort to commemorate the experience, I wanted to buy something sort of extravagant that I normally would not purchase. A beautiful scarf from Nordstrom seemed to fit the bill! Now, every time I where it I will remember this beautiful experience.
Returning to the Chinese Embassy was an interesting experience. My documents weren't yet completed (even though I was over 30 minutes late), so it gave me time to reflect and think. There are some moments that stick with you for a lifetime, and I hope this time is one of them. It was this overwhelming feeling that this was it...I was nearly done with the paper work, but I was on to a more interesting destination....motherhood. Unlike most other expectant mothers, I could have backed out at any time, but I knew I wouldn't. I didn't want to. My heart pounded and my fingers fumbled at my money when the woman at the counter reported that my documents were completed. My legs felt funny as I left the embassy and it wasn't until I reached the end of the street until I felt strong again, but I was so overwhelmed with emotion that I could have cried. The sunlight hit my face, I took a deep breath and realized I was stepping in a new direction. A year from now my life will probably be very different that it is now.

No comments: