Friday, January 19, 2007

The Silk Road Sisters are born!


Well, I decided to throw my energy into something that I can actively make a difference in. I am still waiting for you-know-what, but I refuse to sit by passively and just complain about it. I've done what I can. I've called and e-mailed the Indy Immigration office without luck. On Tuesday I did receive an e-mail finally stating that I would would receive information about my I-171H within 5-7 days. What does that mean? Do I get it or don't I? Anyway, today is day 29 since my fingerprinting appointment and tomorrow will be day 5 of the new wait. We shall see what happens next, but I am not getting too excited.

I have to admit to feeling highly competitive. It's the reason I always received A's when I was in school and why I never play cards or group sports. I get too irritated by the competition (aka, me not winning) to enjoy the games. Well, my coordinator let it slip in December that there were only 11 approved single applicants that were allowed to proceed with the adoption process in October. She also mentioned that I was always done before everyone else and that she bragged that her girl (me) was always ahead of the other single mommies. Well, no more. Last Friday, Kristen, pulled ahead and her dossier is currently en route to China. Rather than be a sore loser, I emailed my congratulations to her and we have been enjoying some very nice e-mails since then. From those emails I realized that many of us have not shared our adoption plans with any outside our immediate family/friend circle. We all need to talk which is why this blog has been so good to me. From this new friendship a new circle was formed. I sent out a post on our list serve group and a handful of people responded. Enough acknowledged the need that I decided to start our own group. Many of them submitted ideas for the group name, but ultimately I like Silk Road Sisters (and no, I did not come up with this). I hope that we will all get to know each other really well and hopefully be able to follow each other's progress through the time of submission to referral and pick-up. Some have expressed interest in meeting in person, and I hope that we will be able to set something up.

No comments: