Sunday, January 7, 2007

Response to Paula Zahn's interview

I'm not the type to sit back and allow uneducated opinions to be thrown around as fact. So, after going to the gym this afternoon and still being revved up over the Paula Zahn transcript I read, I decided to re-read it and respond. I got more ticked the second and third time I read it. So, I sent an e-mail knowing that it will not likely make any difference, but it may allow me to rest easier tonight. Here it is:

"I eagerly anticipated Ms. Zahn's show about adoption, especially with the emphasis on China adoptions and the new guidelines. I was, however, appalled by the lack of knowledge by Ms. Zahn or her guests on the subject of adoption, internationally or otherwise. The interview came across as rather racist and it was unfortunate that they perpetuated those stereotypes. I was really appalled when they mentioned adopting a "Muslim child". That's like asking to adopt a Christian child. Islam is a religion, typically one that is taught at home, not a race. The only way to adopt a Muslim child is to teach that child Islamic beliefs and hope for the best. There was very little emphasis on the new China guidelines, but rather an argument against adopting Chinese children based on biases that we should have surpassed years ago. I have friends that have adopted from China, and not ONE has ever mentioned "porcelain" skin, increased mental abilities, work ethic or health as their reason for adoption. Every adoptive parent of a Chinese daughter is counseled on the fact that their child WILL be delayed developmentally or physically on their return home and suffers from any number of diseases relating to malnutrition or lice/scabies infestations. Children from other countries also run the risk of fetal alcohol syndrome or potential sexually transmitted diseased (transmitted in utero). Choosing to adopt is a deeply personal decision based on a lot of factors, none that were mentioned in your report. Prior to the recent ruling, China was one of the few countries in the world to allow singles to adopt. Even our own great nation discriminates against singles (the birth mothers choose the adoptive parent and most prefer couples). Some agencies refuse to work with singles all together. Cost is another factor. Of all the countries to adopt from, the US is the most expensive and provides no guarantee (unlike other countries). Until we fix the flaws in our own child care system, it is unwise to berate parents who choose to adopt abroad".

Ok, I've done what I can, hopefully now I can sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sentiments exactly.

Sherry