Thursday, January 25, 2007

Fun in the City



Well, the plan was to get out of work by noon and out of town by 1pm. Well, like all good plans, this one barely survived the morning. I finally got out of work around 12:40, and home shortly after that. I ate lunch with Sherry and the family before finally hitting the road. Sherry, has some impressive driving skills and an awesome sense of direction (thank you!) and we arrived at the Secretary of State's office for my state seals just after 2 pm.
What we didn't know was that at 3 PM all the cars parked in metered parking are towed so that people can you use that lane for rush hour traffic. Evidently the sign that says "no parking between 3-6 pm" was on the opposite side of where I deposited my money. Talk about a surprise! I would have walked for another block trying to find a car that had probably been towed only a few minutes before. We had to make some phone calls before we were able to locate the police station. We then had to walk to the police station, pay an $80 fine, and walk another mile or so to the towing company. The name of the towing company? Last Chance Wrecker. I couldn't help but laugh. It seemed so appropriate...Last Chance Adoption, Last Chance to complete a Chinese dossier, Last Chance Family.
If that's the worst that happens this weekend, I'm happy! We finally arrived in Chicago at 9pm Central time (aka 10 pm Bloomington time). We were so tired, we were stupid.

No comments: