Friday, January 5, 2007

It's a New Day


Ahh, I just love surprises. And I love being home. As much fun as HK was, I couldn't wait to get home. I started missing my friends, my cat, my house. Surprisingly, I didn't check email or China updates online while I was gone. It really didn't even cross my mind. I think the break was good for me.
When I was in Hong Kong I was struck by how different it was 15 years ago when I was a kid and visited. Now it is far more diverse. Then, it was strictly Chinese. I saw one Caucasian the entire time I was there and she was from England. This time I saw many European tourists (winter holiday, you know....read Bridget Jones), as well as new residents from Middle Eastern countries, India, and Indonesia. Looking around I didn't feel like an outsider and I didn't, couldn't view them as any differently from myself. I couldn't help but think that one of them might be the mother, father, sister, uncle, cousin, grandma to my own daughter. I was able to appreciate the differences in our cultures much more after that realization.
Ok, back to the surprise. The bad surprise yesterday (and today) is that I still don't have my I-171H. Kristina (my adoption coordinator and guardian angel) told me to contact somebody and I probably will Monday if I don't receive anything on Saturday.
Now the good news, when I opened my door yesterday afternoon I found a big box sitting on the stoop. Now, I'm a pretty smart girl and I knew that I hadn't ordered anything and I was quite sure that most of my family and friends knew I was in HK and wouldn't likely order anything for me. Sure enough, it wasn't for me, it was for someone else with a similar sounding address. I called the number on the front of the box to report the issue and Larry (the lovely man on the other side of the phone) told me that there were 30 white tulips in the box. He said to open them and enjoy them and new ones would be sent to the correct person in the next 1-2 days. WOW, free flowers!!! I am a lucky girl.

1 comment:

Denise said...

So glad you are home!

I'll be anxious to see more pictures of your trip, soon!