Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bad Day at the Office

First, I want to apologize to my close friends that will read this before I have the chance to tell them in person. The truth is, I just can't handle any more calls on this matter today. We had a scheduled visit from our regional director and our corporate HR person today. That is not terribly unusual as they visit annually to check in, but today we were all called in to a meeting and informed that our hospital is closing and we are all losing our jobs. Yep, I just lost my job. We will finish up the care on the patients that are currently with us, but will not evaluate (my job) or admit anyone else. Since our average patient length of stay is 25 days, I anticipate we will remain open for another 3 weeks. Fortunately we will be paid until September 24th and my medical benefits will not end until the end of September. Unfortunately, there is no severence package and all the time I have accumulated for my maternity leave is lost. I will not be able to use or be paid my sick time (aka baby time), but I will be able to cash out my vacation time which will probably only add up to 2 weeks.
I am asking for your prayers on this matter. I have never been downsized before and as the sole breadwinner I have no other paycheck to lean on. I was also still working on saving money towards my adoption.
I was surprisingly calm all day and even cracked jokes with my CEO and the corporate people who delivered the bad news. They even asked me to help notify my fellow employees by calling and sending certified letters. I think that helped separate me from what was going on, but now I am home and feeling the stress. Pray that I will have peace and not feel overwhelmingly stressed and that I am able to find a new job quickly!
I hope that I do not have to return to work after this week. Since I will not be able to enjoy a paid maternity leave when my daughter comes home, I want to do it now. All those little things that I wanted to get done and don't have the time or energy for, I want to work on now. Of course, I will also be on the job hunt full time.
If you want to call me tomorrow, that is fine, but today I just need to take a nap, a crap, and walk before I feel better.

No comments: