Friday, June 1, 2007

Fabulous Week

I have just had a fabulous week! No, really I have. Let me start with last night....after talking to everyone I know that has a tattoo, I narrowed the stylists/artists down to 2. I went to the first shop (the most highly recommended and the only one that still wins awards for his work) and was really impressed. Although it smelled faintly of smoke (duh, it is a tattoo joint even if we have a smoking ban in place in B-town) it was exceptionally clean and nicely decorated. I expected to see biker dudes loitering in front like they do at Big Red's Genuine Tattoo Parlor, but thankfully I was the only customer. I spent at least an hour or more talking with Rob, reviewing what I wanted, looking at his work, reviewing his experience and cleaning techniques. I must say, I am impressed. Today I dropped off the copy of FTIA's logo (the globe with kids around it) and MayLing's Chinese name. He said he would have a draft available by Tuesday so I will call him back then. If he's done and I approve the design I will get tattooed Tuesday night! If not, I have to wait until the next day. I can't wait!!!

I just had the best conversation with my mother yesterday afternoon. She called me while I was on the road returning from Daviess Co. (trust me it helps to talk on that road...it is a really long drive and dull if there is no traffic). She told me how she had been thinking about MayLing and how she couldn't wait until she was placed in my arms, that we would both finally be "home". Someone at her work place asked if she would be able to love her new grandchild. We weren't sure if it was a racist comment or if the person was suggesting that a second grandchild would get less attention than the first. Whatever the intent of the question my mother said, "Of course we will love our granddaughter! We already love her so much." It's always amazing to me that my family or friends can feel as strongly about my daughter as I do. I guess every mother wants her child to be loved and I am so blessed that my daughter will be smothered in it. What was so interesting about our conversation yesterday was that I too had been thinking about the big day when MayLing will finally be in my arms. We both wondered if something significant was happening that day (maybe she was conceived?) Each time I think of it, I tear up. I know that when she is finally next to my heart I will weep. I think I will probably weep each time I look at her for the first few days. When my mother told that she thinks of that moment and gets weepy, I got weepy all over again! So there we were 2 weepy women on the phone. It's worth pointing out that neither one of us is particularly weepy. I live with the knowledge everyday that I am going to have a child. It is so imprinted on my heart and brain (and soon my skin) that I can't not think of her. Some days I feel like I need to pinch myself. I'm going to be a mom! I don't know if all mothers appreciate this the same way, but as a single woman with serious fertility issues I feel incredible blessed to mother a child.

Another fabulous moment yesterday...I got a bonus! I had applied for a bonus 3 months ago and never expected to receive one. Not only did I receive a bonus, but I was awarded the full amount! The only down side is that they took 40% in taxes. How is that possible? I got little more than half of my bonus. I'm sad about that, but it is still more money than I had a few days ago!

This spring I set forth 2 fun goals for the summer. 1) Get a ride in a jeep. 2) Get a ride on a motorcycle. Without even sharing these goals with friends, Kara offered me a jeep ride about a month or so ago...talk about an awesome afternoon! And Tony bought a motorcycle 2 days ago. I can not wait to get a ride on his bike...it is beautiful--all chromed out. So it looks like my fun goals will be met.

I was hoping to mow my weeds tonight, but it is raining. Looks like I'll be forced to mow tomorrow during the high heat of the day. Don't bother telling me the weather should be cooler tomorrow. Hot is hot. Any time I am in direct sunlight and it is over 65 degrees, I'm sweating. Even though I complain, I am always happy with the way it looks afterwards. Maybe I can work on landscaping some tomorrow as well.

No comments: