Saturday, January 19, 2008

I'm tired

It's no secret that the past few weeks have been rather difficult for me and it has not just been the adoption slow down.  I have been under an incredible amount of pressure at work.  There is an upgrade project that was started a year or two ago that kept getting pushed back.  Finally the vendor we buy our applications from said "you either upgrade now, or you can't upgrade any other applications in your hospital system".  Evidently the system is like the game Ginga.  Each wooden block rests precariously on the other.  The one below supports the one above and the one above supports the next one up.  So, I was brought into the project in late December, long after most of the work should have been done, but wasn't.  The person that has been assigning me the tasks has never done anything like it either (which is why I can only assume I was pulled into the mess--so she can back out).  She keeps telling me all these things I need to do and increasing my workload daily.  I have to admit, I dread even seeing her because I know she is going to say "you know, I really think we should look at workflow for ....".  I missed all the earlier meetings were the work was defined and divided.  Most of the time they forget to include me on any conference calls or project meeting updates.  And oh yeah, we are going live in less than a month.  To say I've been stressed would be an understatement.  In the few meetings I have attended I have just felt the panic rise--kind of reminded me of walking into a geometry class when I am obviously an algebra kind of girl. 

I should also add that I have no experience.  I am RN, with a degree in anthropology with a focus in culture and biophysical--and I am now working in an IS department. 

But finally, yesterday, I don't feel so lost.  On Thursday I had even more crap added to my plate.  As a result I decided to meet with the integration person that is setting up the testing and the project manager.  It seems I am on the right path--it is the lady that keeps adding more to my plate that is off base!  Seriously, she wanted me to do workflow for the current application and then extrapolate what the workflow would be with the new upgrade.  How the heck can I do that when I don't even know what the back of the box says or how the users are going to apply it???  Exactly.  You can't. 

I'm glad that is cleared up.  Unfortunately I'm still going to have to work on it this weekend because testing begins Monday morning.  I'm sure I'll keep you updated on what has become the world's most boring blog.  I'm sure all you non-tech people think this is the most boring thing ever, but I AM HAPPY TO KNOW THAT I AM RIGHT, DARN IT!!!!!

1 comment:

C's Mom said...

Hope things move right along and the testing phase goes off without a hitch!