Friday, January 11, 2008

Better Day

Today was a better day.  I decided to put some things into practice that will take my mind off the whole China thing, or at least not focus on the negative.  Starting today, I am not checking my email in the morning before work.  Today it gave me a good start because I wasn't filling in my mind with all the negativity from the various yahoo groups that I am a part of.  In fact, I think I will probably go "no mail" on a few of them until I settle down.  I'm also going to limit my blog reading.  Those that I currently leave messages on while still be checked regularly, but not as obsessively as now.  I'm hoping a little down time and maybe some new hobbies will help.  I'm just not sure what hobbies to pursue.

Nothing does the heart good like spending the entire day in the emergency department and seeing people that are worse than you.  I don't mean that their physical conditions were awful, far from it.  Most of them had far more mental issues than physical issues, but I will share my favorite case with you.  Pull up your chairs, it's a doozey!  A guy came into the ER with the diagnosis of "bites over genitals".  Yeah, that's going to catch your eye. Evidently his testicles weren't just bitten, they were mauled by a dog.  The bite marks were quite deep and jagged indicating that he was not wearing any clothes at the time he was bit (he wouldn't confirm or deny it).  Here's the kicker: he doesn't own a dog.  While our community has been up in arms about out of control dog attacks, I really doubt I'm going to see this story in the paper tomorrow: Naked man's testicles attacked by neighbor's dog while walking.  I really did feel bad for him; I can't imagine how bad that must have felt or how bad it is going to feel tomorrow. 

The people in the ED really liked me and asked if I would consider working in their department.  If things don't work out in my department, I would certainly consider it.  It's been so long since I have done hands-on nursing, it would certainly be a challenge.  I like the pace and I like the teamwork and camaraderie that is at work in the department.  Because you are dealing with the worst things that ever happen to a person, your perspective does change and you don't get as upset about the smaller things--even if they do seem earth shattering.  And right now, I really need to change my perspective.

2 comments:

Angie said...

Praying for your sweet spirit, my friend! I know what you mean about being obsessive on blogs and stuff...seeing other peoples gotcha pictures and videos can be a blessing and a curse!

Good luck on those new hobbies...let me know if it works.

Gotta tell you...the story about the genital guy just about made me fall out of my chair. Bet he's feeling GREAT! today! I think it would be worth working in the ER just for the entertainment!
Ha! Angie

C's Mom said...

Yes, do what you need to do to get through.

I must say that the man with the testicle issue would have certainly distracted me. If he smelled of peanut butter I don't even want to know about it. I've seen that trick go awry in my past ER experiences.