Sunday, May 6, 2007

Happy Birthday Dad!!

To make a long story short, the wood chipper (the star attraction for the party) was unable to make it the party. Although he RSVP'd about a month ago, he had neglected to tell me that he needed a ball hitch. I don't know why the rental center did not feel that information would be pertinent, but they didn't. The day was great regardless, and I saved $$$ not renting that noisemaker. Here are a few photos I took during the process. The first photo is after we had begun clearing the brush and debris (in other words, this isn't even the worst of it). The second photo was taken after my dad cut down the cherry tree next to the walnut. What he neglected to tell me until hours later was that he had never cut down a tree before. That's right folks, we cut down a tree and none of us had ever done that before. For some reason it felt really familiar (maybe because we cleared some smaller ones last year when I moved in). The last photo was taken in the evening after we, and my neighbor Joann, had cleared most the debris and dead trees. We still have to remove the two trees in the back right of the photo because they are covered with ivy and have slowly been suffocated. It will be fall before that happens. The ground is still covered with horrible ivy so if anyone has suggestions on how to get rid of it, I'd love to hear it (what's so wrong with using napalm?)

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Can't wait to see your backyard when I come to visit! You should post pix of your new mailbox! Better yet, pix of you checking your new mailbox! K

Anonymous said...

I thought we worked our asses off but when I checked mine was still the same size. Oh well, had fun chopping and burning and I didn't even set any buildings on fire.
mom

Denise said...

I still wish we had the picture of you bouncing on that tree truck while your dad was going nuts with the chainsaw - it was like a window into your childhood!