Sunday, May 13, 2007

Perfect Day

I had this perfect day planned for myself yesterday, but I'm quite glad that my perfect day turned out quite differently. Since I didn't have my violin lesson in the morning, I thought I'd have the opportunity to get up late and begin working on the house. It's a wreck and smells funky. I thought I'd spend the day cleaning, cutting up my quilt squares to send out this week, and finish putting in the rest of my garden. In reality, I took a prescription cough pill before going to bed so I ended up sleeping until nearly 11 am (yikes). Instead of getting dressed I decided to throw myself into getting the house clean. I filled the sink of dishes with soap and water, loaded the washer, and began to organize the kitchen. I had just finished making a pitcher of lemonade when I thought I heard a knock at the door. It was Sherry! I am so glad I have such great friends in my life, that they don't feel the need to call ahead (although in reality, she had called my cell phone 3 times and I just hadn't heard it). There I was, still wearing my pajama tank, greasy unwashed hair and wearing yesterday's underwear. And she didn't even care. What a beautiful thing. She went and picked us up some take-out food and we just spent a delightful afternoon with each other. Shortly after she left, Michael came over to pick me up to see Spiderman 3 (I highly do not recommend this movie...it really sucks). And after we parted company, I was on my way to Tony and Fil's for Joy's Graduation Party!
I realize it is great to have a clean (and clean smelling) house with clean laundry, but these are days I won't have again. I feel like I cherish this time more because I know once MayLing is home, I will have other demands on my time. I don't want this to sound like I regret it, certainly not! I think I appreciate things more now because I know that things will change next year. I look forward to those changes and how I will be stretched and grown into a new woman. What a great thing to be able to look to the future, but be able to appreciate each moment now. I feel like I have more clarity in my life and what is truly important in it.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Glad to hear you had a great day! It's wonderful to have such good friends! Happpy Mother's Day!