Saturday, February 17, 2007

Step by Step--The Adoption Process


I've had quite a few people ask about the process and wanting to know when to expect MayLing. The quick answer is that no one knows for sure what time I will receive her referral. Based on current time frames, it is taking 16 months from the log in date before families are sent a referral. But, for a refresher here is what has happened so far and what to expect next.

October 4, 2006--FTIA opened the window for a few single applicants to China.
October 6, 2006--they receive my application.
October 9, 2006--my application is approved and I have until February 28, 2007 to submit my dossier.
November 10, 2006--Home study is completed with a social worker
November 13, 2006--application made to United States Citizenship & Immigration Services
December 21, 2006--Fingerprinting appointment with USCIS
January 24, 2007--Receive my I-171H from USCIS (clearance to adopt a foreign orphan)
January 27, 2007--Deliver my completed dossier to Kristina at FTIA
February 2, 2007--Dossier sent to China
February 12, 2007--Log in Date (LID) in the Administrative offices of the CCAA

So what happens next? Most likely my file will sit in a folder for several months and then it will be translated. After it is translated it will be sent for it's first review. In Review 1, they comb through my documents looking for any problems. If they find any, they will alert my agency or they will reject my dossier. If I clear Review 1, it will be forwarded to Review 2 and that it is where I will be matched with MayLing. Once that is completed, my agency will be notified that I have a referral. They will send me her photo and her translated medical records and some information about her "she likes cookies or she enjoys playing with toys". If I accept the referral, I will sign a letter of intent (LOI) and forward that to FTIA who sends to China. Once accepted, travel arrangements will be made. From then, it is 4-6 weeks until I meet my daughter.

The easiest way to track the progress is to check CCAA's website http://www.china.ccaa.org/frames/index_unlogin_en.jsp

On the right side of the page you will see a box called "Document Processing". The first paragraph tells you up to what date they are reviewing documents (this is why having an LID is so important...everything is chronological). In the next paragraph they tell you through what date they have placed children. For example, if the first paragraph says they are reviewing documents through March 1st, I know that I am currently in review. If it says they have placed children through February 15, 2007, I know that I should be receiving a phone call really soon!

No comments: