Monday, February 26, 2007

The Eagle has landed and I am in Nesting Mode

Well, I'm not really sure that made any sense, but I am in nesting mode. For some reason I've had the overwhelming desire to start and finish the nursery. At this point it is unreasonable to expect referrals to speed up (although I am hopeful that it will not by a 16 month wait), but I don't want to be caught unprepared, and this written by a well known procrastinator. I have not procrastinated one part of the adoption and I'm not about to start now! Maybe I'm afraid I will lose the initiative to start the nursery once I'm midway through the long wait, but regardless, I'm starting on it now!

I'm having a party this Saturday to celebrate Chinese New Year (or in this case, the end of it), receiving my log in date AND paint the nursery. Of course the obvious decision once I paint the nursery is to BUY furniture. I have been looking since October when I began the adoption process and I have beefed up my patrols recently, but haven't found anything that I really liked. Well, I notified my FCC group (families of Children from China) that I was looking and a woman who has not participated in any of our events e-mailed me to say that her crib set was for sale. It is a convertible crib (crib, toddler bed, daybed, that converts to a full sized adult bed---just want I wanted!) and it has a dresser with a changing table. I looked at it on Saturday and it is PERFECT! I knew as soon as I saw it that it was the one. It is a rich, cherry wood and very substantial. Everything I had looked at prior to that was rather light weight. This is serious furniture. So, by Sunday MayLing's room ought to be complete. I will still have to have a friend come in paint the wall motif, but I am otherwise done. Better still, the cherry won't look bad next to the rocking chair that I inherited from my mother (she rocked me in it) and my toy chest from childhood. How exciting!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I'm excited to see what MayLing's room looks like when you're done! Post pictures!
Kristen