Thursday, June 26, 2008

SuperWoman

I have always teased my mom for being so strong. "Freakishly" strong is usually how I describe her. I have to admit, I was really dreading what she was going to look like post-op. I've had surgeries, actually I've had a handful and I've cried before and after every one of them. I hate them and I'm sure I was projecting some of what I was feeling on to my mom and I just hated that she had to go through it. Unless someone has had surgery, they have no idea what it is like. I hate the thought of being knocked out....and then what? You wake up knowing some sort of trauma has occurred, but you are so snowed by the drugs you can't put two thoughts together, you are scared, you are in pain, everyone talks too loud, the lights are too bright and I'm always puking. I didn't want this for her. Well, I needn't worry about it. She is definitely retaining her SuperWoman title. I've told her and I've told my Dad (I doubt my mom actually believes me), but she has recovered amazingly well. I'm a nurse and I've NEVER seen anyone recover from that surgery that quick. I've taken care of women that had vaginal hysterectomies that took 3 days for them to get to the place they were walking. Within 8 hours of surgery she was insisting on fluids and wanted to sit on the side of the bed and practice standing. Within 24 hours of surgery, she was walking, eating solid foods, using oral pain meds. She's amazing and I want to thank everyone that prayed for her. I'm simply blown away by how good she did and continues to do.

And for whatever reason I can not get the photos of my mom load on here tonight. I'll see if they can send me copies and hopefully I can post them tomorrow.

Thank you everyone that sent good wishes and prayers her direction...she is obviously better for it!

2 comments:

Angie said...

So glad your Mom is doing well - I am continuing to pray!

kitchu said...

That is SO awesome... I'm happy to hear she's doing so well.