Monday, April 23, 2007

Hope Springs Eternal


Yesterday while at Lowe's purging my fresh pay check (it was actually less than $5.00) on garden tools, I picked up a couple of packets of seeds for my garden. I didn't get around to tilling the ground last night (it got late and I still wasn't done) and I didn't do it tonight because it got dark and stormed. So, I decided to pop the cantaloupe seeds into the the little peat moss cups I had bought 6 weeks ago. At the time, I thought I was recovered from pneumonia (didn't realize it was just the feel good steroids coursing through my system) so I went to Lowe's and bought these little peat cups and some Columbine flowers and Chinese lanterns. I knew it would be a while before it would warm up enough to plant, but I really needed to see signs of life. I planted both seeds in the cups that afternoon and in the coming weeks really enjoyed the sprouts that popped out of the cups. Only one problem...the Chinese lanterns didn't sprout. Not a one. Germination time was listed at 20-30 days and I had surpassed that long ago. I gave up on them and decided to push the cantaloupe seeds in the peat cups tonight. I got a little surprise though. Finally, after 6 weeks of nothing, I saw signs of life from some of the Chinese lantern cups. Maybe there is hope after all. All it took was time.

No comments: