Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Huh?

TV is usually kind of boring for me (I don't have cable) so I generally just flip through channels settling on a program for a few minutes before flipping to something new.  Last night I landed on ABC, but because I caught it a few minutes into the program, I was totally lost.  I honestly thought they were joking when they were referring to monkeys as "adopted kids".  Seriously.  They wanted to have perpetual children so they were "adopting" monkeys.  Unfortunately for them, all monkeys eventually go bad.  I couldn't help but think, is this really the best language to use?  If babygirl had been watching that with me, what would she have thought?  I kept waiting for the punch line or a person to jump out and shout "candid camera!" but it never happened.  What the heck?  Check it out here.  http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/popup?id=5255121 and there is quote from the website: 

It's estimated that there are 15,000 monkeys purchased as pets or surrogate children and living with humans in the United States alone. While many of the people who buy the monkeys may treat them as if they were little humans, these primates are from the South American rainforest and in their normal habitat spend two-thirds of the day feeding and hunting for their dinner.

If you want a child, adopt a child.  If you want a pet, get a dog.  These are not domesticated animals and they are certainly not replacements for human children. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I saw that episode last night. I had to pick my jaw up off the floor. Especially the scene where the lady brings the monkey to the playground, attracts children to it, knowing the monkey gets pissed when kids come to close. Then the monkey takes the swing at the kid and she scolds the kid for getting to close... in a playground... not a zoo... a playground. Why do people continuously try to domesticate wild animals????

kitchu said...

i missed the episode but saw commercials for it. just had to shake my head and roll my eyes... wtf??