Saturday, July 5, 2008

Consistency

Is it too much to expect a certain level of consistency?  I admit--I'm a creature of habit.  I base present expectations on past experiences, but who doesn't?  As humans, this is how we are designed and it was for good reason.  You learn not to mess with bees after you step on one, don't you? 

So, on June 5th my coordinator e-mails me and wants to know the status of my 171H.  Have I received the new one?  Nope.  I'd had a sticky note stuck to my computer for weeks reminding me to re-apply for a new I-600A.  In fact I had to move it if I wanted to see my URL bar.  Did I do anything about it.  Nope.  Did it matter that I was expiring in less than 6 weeks?  Nope.  Did I consider the fact that it took 3 months the last time?  Nope.  Are you sensing a lack of excitement this time around?  Yep.

Ok, so the e-mail from Melissa put my butt in gear and I promised to send it ASAP.  And I did, I emailed it the following day.  Within 10 days I received a notice that my updated home study was missing.  I know it wasn't, but I e-mailed by home study agency and they sent a new one immediately.  Only two days after receiving that notice I received another letter notifying me that my fingerprint appointment was in about 10 days.  Huh? 

So I got my fingerprints taken earlier this week to little fanfare (my skin was so dried out they made me put Corn Husker's Oil on--ewww).  Imagine my surprise when I arrived home this evening to find my new 171H.  All I could think is "What the he**?"  I wish it had been that easy last time.  I wish it had taken less time last time because I was stressing the deadline so bad my hair started falling out.  I will say, I have been reassigned to a new Adjudications Officer and maybe that is making the difference?  Either way, I'm happy it arrived and I'm wondering...how long will it take next time? 

I went home to visit the 'rents for the 4th and we had a good time.  Actually, I had an HGTV time and it was awesome.  I'm going to start applying to see if I can be on one of their shows--darn it, I need a new yard! 

I also took some cool pics of the fireworks.  Enjoy!

IMG_0454IMG_0470IMG_0529 IMG_0537 IMG_0551 There are a couple that I think I will frame because they turned out so cool.  I love having a fireworks setting on my camera! 

Mom wanted me to tell everyone that she is doing great!  She is cancer free, will NOT need radiation therapy and has been walking 5 miles a day.  Yeah, 6 days post-op and she was back to walking 5 miles a day.  Wow, she's amazing. 

3 comments:

Angie said...

Congrats on getting your 171-H! Mine was super fast this time too - and SLOOWWW last time. Maybe it's the whole - "a watched pot never boils" thing?

Glad your Momma is doing well - I'm still praying!

Kristen said...

Holy cow, your I-171 came fast! I thought mine was fast since I got it within two weeks of my fingerprinting, but yours beats that timing! The fireworks pix are awesome! Say HI to your mom for me! Oh, and the rest of your family, too! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I really am not that awesome, just strange. I did not cry when I was told I had cancer but I got so frustrated yesterday I cried. The insurance co. said they had to backtrack and make me pay more towards my deductible. I've already paid $2000+ more than my deductible but that doesn't count. THAT MADE ME CRY!!!!
mom