Monday, May 19, 2008

Honest to goodness snail chain mail

Wow, it has been years since I have even heard the phrase "chain mail".  Now we have the digital version with crazy emails going around promising that if you make a wish and send it to your twenty closest friends that your wish will come true!  I'm guessing most people in adoption land scoff (especially in the China program) because we have wished, prayed and promised our days away waiting for our kids. 

Anyway, I received my first snail chain mail since I was probably 12.  Evidently you spread the paper prayer rug under your bed, say a prayer, send some money (along with prayers for whatever dollar amount you need) and viola, you receive money!  Evidently if you look into Jesus's eyes (on the paper prayer rug) they will initially appear closed, but you will then see them open the longer you focus on it.  I have to be honest...the whole thing kind of creeps me out. 

You are supposed to return the paper prayer rug before the next sunset or else you will not receive any money.  I don't think my PPR has been used, but if it has, ewww.  I don't like the thought of how many grubby fingers may have handled it before it arrived on my doorstep. 

I'm not bitter and I'm not anti-Christian (far from it if you know me), but the whole premise of God working in such a narrow window (twenty-four hours from letter arrival) seems rather mind boggling when you consider this verse:

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:5-7 NAS

Hmmm...so you mean God will continue to mold me and break me and stretch me into the person I'm meant to be regardless of this piece of crap mailing? 

Yep, and for further affirmation:

Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV) "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future".

For more information on the man spreading the "good news" check this website: http://george.loper.org/trends/2003/Apr/815.html

And to totally change the subject, I was flipping through the channels and came across the show "One Tree Hill".  Is it just music?  I think Rambo movies have more dialogue.  Am I missing something?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL... I received the same Prayer Rug last week. I believe in praying just as much as the next person, but when I got the chain prayer I looked up to the sky and said "now you do chain mail.... c'mon..." Then I looked at the rug, apparently I was the "first" one in the chain to use the rug because it didn't have a single crease in it from other "kneelers". So what did you do with your????

kitchu said...

Here's what I have to say to people who box God: you've got a case of "ridiculitis", get a pill.

And yeah. It's all music. I hated Rambo but would watch it twice to avoid that other show.