Sunday, May 18, 2008

Ahhh, a wonderful weekend

The last time Kristen came down for a weekend, we celebrated our 12 month LID and the fact that the CCAA had finally cleared the last of 2005.  This time I think our theme should be "eating our way through Indiana". 

On Friday we went to Nashville, a wonderful little town that I never remember we have until she visits.  IMG_0333 Really, how cute is this store?!?  We both bought little mom and babe socks at one of the local stores that produces original socks.  They also produce the sock-wear for several NBA teams and others that I now have forgotten. 

One of the first stops we made was at a candy store...we were literally like two kids in a candy store.  I want some of that, and some of that, oh, and some of that!  What kind of moms are we going to be?  Well, probably moms with hidden sugar issues.  We had an awesome day there and the weather cooperated beautifully!  I think rain was forecast all weekend, but it magically ended when she arrived on Thursday. 

On Saturday, we did some last minute shopping at Lowe's and I found the perfect curtains for MayLing's room!  I'm not kidding...absolutely perfect.  They were exactly what I had been imagining, but hadn't been able to find and they were cheap!  Plus, because they are so long, I should be able to cut off the bottom of the curtain and use that material to re-finish my rocking chair.  My mom saved my very first little rocker and now my niece loves to rock in it.  The only problem is that it was in my parents garage for many years and needs some TLC before it will be good for the next generation.  My poor niece is stuck with a wobbly chair until I get it all figured out. 

On Saturday afternoon we painted the final room in my house that needed painted.  When I bought the house 2 years ago, every room was painted the same awful beige color.  I got most of it painted the first few months I lived here (thanks Mom and Dad!), Dad painted MayLing's room last year, but because this room has some seriously heavy furniture that I couldn't move by myself, I didn't paint it when I was laid off.  Many, many thanks to Kristen for volunteering to help when we could have been shopping or doing something far more interesting.   Fortunately for her, she knows I don't have anything left to paint!

Last night, though exhausted, we decided to make a run to Wal-Mart for a couple of items.  Who knew it would take the Wal-Mart staffers nearly an hour to figure out where the key was to the propane tank cage, find the correct key, and then find a full tank?  Well, not me.  The good news is that I finally have my grill and my tank so I am ready to start grilling!  I'm kind of pooped today, but I think I will attempt something tomorrow or Tuesday. 

  • Favorite comment from this weekend spoken by a very young salesperson in Nashville: "But he's black" when she learned that Mariah Carey married Nick Cannon who is AA and 11 years her junior.  Wow, I really can't believe you said that.
  • Favorite photo:IMG_0388 Done!  Actually, my favorite photo was of getting tripped up in my futon mattress and being so tired and contorted that I rolled around like a beached whale.  Unfortunately, also not a flattering photo. 
  • Favorite meal/food item:  definitely the peanut coconut thingys we had in Nashville.  Or the wonton soup from yesterday.  We had a lot of good options. 
  • Favorite moment: wow, tough pick.  I think some of the unspoken ones were my favorite...like Plumber's Crack guy.  Thanks for taking one for the team.  Or the moment I realized that I really liked the colors that I picked out for the spare bedroom.  Or finding the perfect curtains for my daughter's room.  How did you know that was exactly what I was wanting?!? 

No comments: